The family tradition in wine elaboration dates back to the end of the 19th Century, when the Heras Cordón family constructed the first cellars in their hometown, Lapuebla de Labarca in Rioja Alavesa.
During the first years, the wine was meant for local consumption; it was not bottled but primarily dispensed in bulk. The clients were locals and the amounts of production and consumption were rather small.
Wine production came to a halt during the Spanish Civil War from 1936 to 1939 and the activity was resumed in 1940. In the 50’s, the winery was modernized and the production of Crianza wines started, in which process oak barrels of primarily French origin were included.
In the 70’s, taking advantage of the country’s modernisation, Heras Cordón Wineries and Vineyards launched its Crianza and Reserva wines into the national market. Its acceptance and growth was spectacular, in fact, the process reached its first peak in the 80’s, when the three siblings, who are currently the owners of the winery, set up a vine plantation company, becoming a national benchmark in that activity.
In the beginning of the 90’s, a vineyard in the Riojan municipality of Fuenmayor was acquired; an excellent location for the construction of new facilities, which are the current ones. Construction works started in 1995 and ended two years after. Keeping in mind that the traditional aspect should prevail, ashlar stone pieces from 19th Century buildings were used. Also, as part of the winery’s identity, an entrance door of solid pine and of more than 6 tonnes was reused.
For the production of these great wines, more than 70 own hectares are necessary, as well as the acquisition of a further 60 hectares of the production of local farmers, who are counselled as to the obtaining of excellent grapes. All vineyards are located in two sub-areas of great prestige and quality, namely, Rioja Alta (Cenicero, Fuenmayor and Navarrete) as well as Rioja Alavesa (Laguardia, Elciego and Lapuebla de Labarca).
In the year 2004, the “CLUB BOTELLERO HERAS CORDÓN” (BOTTLE CLUB HERAS CORDÓN) was founded, where 142 customers keep their personalised bottles, with an annual compromise of consumption, being able to use the winery’s facilities with friends, clients and family.
At the end of 2005, a private dining room was implemented, with a capacity of up to 60 people and a social lounge for up to 30 people for exclusive use of the winery and for members of the “Botellero club”.
Sat –> Consult
Sun –> Closed